Game of Thrones couldn’t have become television's greatest fantasy epic without the sophisticated makeup required to create its terrifying monsters. What's that, you say? Cersei Lannister didn't even wear so much as a smoky eye? No, it's the White Walkers, undead giants and wights that had the GoT makeup department putting in their own long nights. Bringing creatures like the Night King and his Army of the Dead to life (so to speak) took its own army of makeup and prosthetic artists. With the final season in the rearview mirror, it’s time to take a look behind the curtain to find out just how they did it. Here’s a sneak peek at what’s inside this exclusive look from HBO:
- Discover the many challenges of creating makeup and prosthetics for Game of Thrones from prosthetics designer Barrie Gower
- Find out how long it takes to build a single prosthetic, like the Night King’s head
- Learn how a team of fifty makeup and prosthetics artists in the workshop built an army of wights for Season 8
- Take a look inside Season 5's Battle of Hardhome, the team’s first foray into creating dozens of prosthetics for a single episode
- Enjoy a clip of a makeup artist meticulously arranging a White Walker’s hair
- Watch the incredible time-lapse process of transforming actor Vladimir Furdik into the Night King
And don't stop there. Stay behind the scenes on Thrones with our look at the Battle of Winterfell.
The content featured on https://entertainment.directv.com/ is editorial content brought to you by AT&T. While some of the programming discussed may now or in the future be available by our or our affiliates distribution services, the companies and persons discussed and depicted, and the authors and publishers of licensed content, are not necessarily associated with and do not necessarily endorse AT&T. When you click on ads on this site you may be taken to AT&T marketing pages that display advertising content. Content sponsored or co-created by programmers is identified as "Sponsored Content" or "Promoted Content."